West Chester Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer
Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft are household names in West Chester and throughout Pennsylvania. These companies provide a valuable service, offering ways for individuals to get rides to and from their destinations. However, what happens when an accident involving a rideshare vehicle occurs? Who will be responsible for paying compensation? At Wilk Law, our West Chester Uber and Lyft accident attorneys are standing by to help if you have been injured in a crash involving a rideshare vehicle. We have the resources necessary to help you recover complete compensation for your losses.
Why Choose Wilk Law for an Uber or Lyft Case?
- At Wilk Law, we focus on providing a client-centered approach to every case that we take, which means that we can handle every aspect of a rideshare accident claim on your behalf so you can focus on recovering.
- We are dedicated to providing results for our clients, and our unique combination of compassion and capabilities will help you reach the compensation goals you need to help with your recovery.
- We ensure that our clients are protected from predatory insurance carriers, and we have no problem escalating a claim all the way to a personal injury trial if necessary.
How Will a West Chester Attorney Help an Uber or Lyft Accident Claim?
Accidents involving Uber or Lyft vehicles can become very complicated, often due to the sheer number of parties that will be involved. However, a West Chester rideshare accident attorney will be able to step in and handle every aspect of these claims. This will include gathering all evidence needed to prove liability, such as photo and video surveillance of the incident, eyewitness statements, police reports, vehicle and mobile data, and more.
An attorney will also ensure that their client is evaluated by trusted medical and economic professionals who can help properly calculate total losses. Using all of this information, an attorney will vigorously negotiate to recover maximum compensation for their client.
Uber and Lyft Crashes Can Occur in West Chester
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation shows us that there are, on average, around 125,000 total vehicle crashes each year across the Commonwealth. Even though the DOT does not keep exact data on how many accidents involve rideshare vehicles, we know that these incidents do occur. Uber and Lyft drivers are just like anyone else on the roadway – they have their regular driver’s licenses and no specific driver training geared towards carrying passengers. Uber and Lyft drivers are just as prone to getting into accidents as anyone else.
How Does Insurance Work in a West Chester Uber or Lyft Crash?
Understanding how liability works in the aftermath of a rideshare accident in Pennsylvania can be complicated. Even though these accidents will likely be resolved by settlement with insurance carriers, understanding which insurance pays the bills can be confusing.
If an Uber or Lyft accident was caused by the careless or negligent actions of a non-rideshare driver, then the claim will be handled like their vehicle accident cases in Pennsylvania. The insurance carrier of the at-fault driver will be responsible for covering compensation for those involved.
However, if a crash is caused by a rideshare driver, both Uber and Lyft operate on a “tiered” insurance system:
- If a rideshare driver is not signed into the app to work and they cause an accident, then their personal auto insurance carrier will be responsible for paying compensation to victims.
- If a rideshare driver is signed into the app to work but does not have a passenger and is not on the way to pick one up and they cause a crash, their personal auto insurance carrier is still going to be primarily responsible for paying compensation to victims. In the event the personal carrier denies the claim or if the insurance limits are exhausted, Uber and Lyft will offer supplemental insurance to cover the claim.
- If a rideshare driver is signed into the app to work and has a passenger or is on the way to pick one up, and they cause a crash, then both Uber and Lyft have $1 million insurance policies that are supposed to kick in to cover every party involved.
Type of Compensation Available for These Claims
At Wilk Law, our Pennsylvania personal injury attorneys work diligently to recover full compensation on behalf of all Uber and Lyft accident victims that we help. This includes recovery of economic and non-economic damages, including the following:
- All medical bills related to the rideshare accident
- Lost wages if a victim cannot work while they recover
- General household out-of-pocket losses
- Property damage expenses
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
The total amount of compensation available for these claims will vary depending on the facts and circumstances surrounding each particular Uber or Lyft accident in West Chester.
How Long do You Have to File an Uber or Lyft Claim?
It is crucial to file these claims as soon as possible with the insurance carriers involved. These insurance carriers have very strict reporting deadlines, and failing to file a claim promptly could result in the insurance carrier denying compensation.
Additionally, the Pennsylvania personal injury statute of limitations is two years from the date an injury occurs. This means that Uber or Lyft crash victims in West Chester have a two-year timeframe to file a lawsuit against the alleged negligent party, or they will not be able to recover any compensation at all.
Call a West Chester Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer Today
If you or somebody you love has been injured in an accident involving an Uber or Lyft vehicle in West Chester, you need to speak to an attorney as soon as possible. At Wilk Law, our team is here to help ensure that you recover maximum compensation for your bosses. We will cut through the red tape and handle the insurance carriers in these cases. Let us get to work when you need a West Chester Uber or Lyft accident lawyer. You can contact us online through our contact form or call us at (855) 938-1757.